David had real, physical enemies with flesh and blood and oftentimes in his writings he mentions the words his enemy uses against him. He always refutes it with what God says about him. I like that. David may share how he is being overcome by the deep waters of tribulation, but he always counters it with a declaration about God and a but I'm still swimming statement.
As much as David felt like his enemies surrounded him, he also notes God surrounds him. He wasn't confused. He knew God was nearer when the enemy pressed in. He made references to the enemy surrounding him:
- my deadly enemies surround me (Psalm 17:9)
- the cords of Sheol surrounded me (Psalm 18:5)
- many bulls have surrounded me - strong bulls! (Psalm 22:12)
- dogs have surrounded me - a band of evildoers encompassed me (Psalm 22:16)
- evils beyond number have surrounded me (Psalm 40:12)
Even though he often felt surrounded by enemies of varying types, he declared in the face of his enemy that he was surrounded by God. His references are amazing:
- O Lord You surround him (the righteous man) with favor (Psalm 5:12)
- You surround me with songs of deliverance (Psalm 32:7)
- he who trusts in the Lord, loving kindness will surround him. (Psalm 32:10)
- the Lord surrounds His people (Psalm 125:1)
As caregivers we may not have physical giants and enemies that stand before us. However, we have giants that war at our hearts - through our head. So many things can try to surround us and overtake us. Fears of the future. Financial concerns. Physical ailments or the possibility of not being able to care for our loved ones. Doubts try to crowd in our mind and erode our faith and trust in Him. For many of us, it's a constant struggle even if we remain on top of it. It wears away at our hearts. But like David, we are still swimming in life's flood waters.
What's your declaration today? David usually turned his fears, doubts, and concerns into a declaration he could hold on to. They usually started with an I will
- I will lie down in peace and sleep for you alone, O Lord, will keep me safe (Psalm 4:8)
- I will sing praises to the name of the Lord Most High... (Psalm 7:17)
- I will declare the wonder of Your name... I will praise You among the people (Psalm 22:22)
- I will trust in Your unfailing love (Psalm 13:5)
Even if you feel surrounded today by doubts, fears, what-ifs, what-not-ifs, or are just submerged in your own thoughts, there is a way out.
Today, I will gladly make my declaration that I will trust Him for one more day. I will bless His name today. My heart will praise Him in the midst of the storm - and I will keep swimming! I figure if my enemies are going to surround me - they are going to have to listen to me praise my God who keeps my soul safe in the midst of trouble. How about you? Will you join me?
Post a Comment