This morning in my devotions I found myself in Psalm 57. It's a passage very familiar to me and dear to my heart. When I was sick with a mystery illness back in 1986-7, I read this psalm over and over as I literally held onto it for dear life. It's got all the elements: prayer, praise, despair, faith, and declarations.
This particular psalm is written by David, the same David who ran toward Goliath and declared that God would deliver the giant into his hands that very day. But now, he's running from a mad man, Saul. David is hiding in a cave. That's a far cry from chasing down a giant, right?
He's open and honest about his distress. In verses four and six he says,
- I am surrounded!
- My enemies have set a trap for me!
- I am weary.
- God will send help.
- My God will send His unfailing love and faithfulness.
- He will fulfill His purpose for me.
- My heart is confident in You!
- I will hide in the shadow of Your wings...
- I will awaken the dawn with my song...
- I will thank You O Lord...
- I will sing...
Get your "I Will Declarations from Psalm" ebook for $1! It's at my Dove's Fire Ministries eBookstore.